Research/ Explorations/ Materials/ Tools (Post 3)
Our last class I came to the conclusion that I want to make an interactive sculpture that focuses on emotions and light. The inception of this idea came from thinking about Seasonal Affective Disorder, where people's production of serotonin, and overall positive emotion, lacks during the winter due to decreased exposure to light. I want to create a device and a piece of work that can be " your friend", listen to you, and affirm you through the movement of light. This project idea is pretty practical and depending on the time and resources I can control how complicated I want the project to be. As of right now, here is where my brainstorming had led me.
I need to...
Research
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Types of Lights that already existing for treating Seasonal Affective Disorder
- LED lights or programmable lights
- Sensors
- Design Thinking (https://dschool.stanford.edu/resources-collections/a-virtual-crash-course-in-design-thinking (Design Thinking Crash Course))
Explore
- Sensors for the interactivity aspect of the lights
- How to code the LEDs in different ways - https://www.arduino.cc/
- Interactive Movement that is related to Emotion
- Bee Communication Patterns
- http://www.biology-pages.info/B/BeeDances.html
- http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/weirdest-bees-dance
- African Dance Ritual Patterns
- Design Styles based on Afrofuturism: http://www.csdt.rpi.edu/afrofuturism/index.html (see example below - a great design that could include lights around the edges and in the center a sensor could be placed)
Sanford Bigger's Lotus
- Materials
- LEDs and programable lights
- Sensor (Audio - pitch & amplitude, or phrases, light, proximity)
- Wood versus acrylic benefits and properties
- Paint
- Fabric
- Glue
- Arduino + Breadboard - or "Feather"
- Tools
- Arduino - coding
- Laser Cutter VS Wood tools
- Hands and Eyes
- Other people (testing)


Comments
Post a Comment