This week i spent time finalizing a mirror handle design. I took the design to Illustrator and recreated it with the skills that I had. I decided to laser cut the prototype in card board so that I could manage for potential mistake. During my time cutting and making my mirror I decided on using base wood. I also tested both leather and acrylic to see what I wanted to use for the final design. In the design I choose the Adrinkin ( AYA = I am not afraid of you) Fern symbol which stands for endurance and resourcefulness.
Adinkra dictionary definition:
“the fern is a hardy plant that can grow in difficult places. An individual who wears this symbol suggests he has endured many adversities and outlasted much difficulty.”
The symbol is one of fifty three symbols that has survived from the Akan people, now the West African ethnic group of people from Ghana and the Ivory Coast. It was worn by individuals “who were defiant in times of difficulty, displayed hardness and perseverance, and were known for their independence and resourcefulnessss.”
 |
| Illustrator Designs |
 |
| Lotus tracing for restoring |
After cutting my mirror out in cardboard and attaching my arduino to it with the mirror in the neopixel right, i tested out the Lotus flower outline. I was able to find a 6mm thick acrylic leftover from someone’s old project. The thickness of the acrylic applied to the effects of the neopixel ring, because encased the ring allowing the light to spread through the foggy acrylic. It had a very nice effect, especially when I tested it with different levels of light brightness. I painted to the cardboard with metallic paint to test a Afrofuturism look to mix it with a modern design as well.
 |
| Rastoring and Vector Cutting Lotus |
 |
| Laser Cutting Mirror |
I decided that for the final piece I would create my mirror with two planks of bass wood, acrylic, and wood stain. I will use my prototype to attach the leather to it to create a second piece. Together the mirrors will symbolize an original African ( one made by ancestors) design and an Afrofuturisc ( one created by the newer generation) one.
 |
| Cardboard Cut with Leather Lotus |
 |
| Cardboard Cut Painted with Acrylic Lotus |
Comments
Post a Comment