Periodic Update #8 | Final Product
This past week I spent time putting my mirror together with bass wood and finishing it
I took the my illustrator files and cut out one design layer and two base layers. I printed out two base layers so that I could mount the arduino on one and not pierce through the other side. I cut out the wood then tested would stains. While I waited for the stains to dry I marked my mirror placement and holes for screws for the arduino. I drilled the mared holes.
After testing the stains and making a decision I sanded my pieces and stained them based on my plans. After putting two coats on each side and allowing it to dry, I glued my two base frames on it together which required clamping it overnight. I came back the next day and glue on the detail front piece and had to clamp it as well. The glue that i used for the detail piece spread past the creases and did not dry very nicely so I had to file down and sand those edges and restain them. I was slightly upset that I had to restain it because I was satisfied with the level of stain I had on prior. The front and the back are two different saturations, but I wanted to keep the beauty of the lesser stained side as well. Once everything dried I screwed on the Adruino and mounted the breadboard to the back of the mirror.
In between times I cut out a second mirror for the leather Lotus I decided not to use. I also finished the detail on the cardboard prototype of made. I added a gloss layer to it, mounted the mirror and glue the leather lotus on top of the mirror. It came out really nice and decided it to add to my piece. This mirror standards for the old, or ancestors mirror, before the Atlantic slave trade. The piece with the arduino and neopixels stands for the present and the inclusion of black ideals in sci fi/ computer and creative technology. As well as to bring the awareness of mental health based on the concepts of SAD light lamps and singing which has therapeutic effects, especially in the black church. Sing has been said to strengthen feelings of togetherness, regulate heart rate, reduce stress levels and depression, improve symptoms of Parkinsons and lung disease, feeling of social well being, and increase life expectancy.
I wanted to add some type of gold embellishment so I took the time to finely detail the fern symbol, and other etched parts, with gold metallic paint. I glued on the acrylic Lotus, after that had dried. Before doing this I had to make a platform to raise the acrylic Lotus above the neopixels and mirror, as well as cover the wires connected to the neopixels. I finished after I added that attachment and took off the tape on the mirror.
Comments
Post a Comment